Is Google (Still) Making Us Stupid?

  1. Carr describes it, "Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I'm always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle." 
  2. I have personally stopped reading as well, like Scott. It's half because of my own attention span and half because my tastes and the books I normally read aren't that long. Unlike Bruce, I can easily sit down and read a long article. I don't care to, as it usually doesn't interest me, but I could easily do so if I had the time. 
  3. While giving Nietzsche the opportunity to write a bit longer thanks to the ease the typewriter put on his hands and eyes, the typer writer also changed his style of writing. Carr said it "changed from arguments to aphorisms, from thoughts to puns, from rhetoric to telegram style." And my style of writing changes depending on the medium. If I am on a computer, I am cool with a couple of mistakes, and I am much faster, thanks to Autocorrect/Grammarly. But if I'm writing with a pen or pencil, I'm much more methodical and careful with how I write. 
  4. The mechanical clock 
  5. The internet is "subsuming most of our other intellectual technologies," Carr writes, mentioning that it is an attempt to try and divert attention from other things. The net is changing how we view all o these other forms of media in order to try and make it more convenient for us in order to draw us back in. 
  6. I can see why the employees hated the ideas behind it; this "Taylorism" seems more like a punishment than an actual job. It is fair to want efficient and effective employees, but Taylors' method just feels like a workout. I would hate working at Google. I just can't the thought of working at a place that "worships Taylorism." It gives me the chills to even think about it; it sounds like what would happen if I lost my soul to the devil or something crazy like that. 
  7. He was worried that the changes in writing would lead to us "ceasing to exercise our memory and become forgetful." I think this worry could be applied to any sort of technology, however. With phones, we could forget numbers; with computers, we could forget how to write; with smartwatches, we could forget to drink water daily, and so many other examples. 
  8. He saw a shift from the "complex, dense and "cathedral-like" structure of the highly educated and articulate personality" of his age to the "evolving under the pressure of information overload and the technology of the "instantly available" people of the future potentially. I don't agree with him honestly. His comments seem more like a slight to the new "ideal human" which isn't even true. People can become even more educated and articulate now, thanks to the developments of technology. A sort of tradition could be lost with such a change, a way of life even. Breaking away from that mold and becoming this new individual could lead to an individual feeling incredibly out of place and behind the times with new technology if they arent is able to keep up. 
  9. I would replace Google with Autocorrect or Grammarly. I rely on them wayyyyy too much when I'm either writing a paper, email or even a text. They are my crutch, and I know it's a problem... but I don't want to change it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 25-year Bet About Technology Reflection

Reflecting on the way we read.